Seafood in Onomichi

Onomichi which faces the Setonaikai (Seto Inland Sea) is a place well known for tasty fish.

When it comes to seafood, you might come up with Sushi or Sashimi.

However, since it might be such a rare chance for you to come to Onomichi, why don’t you try ‘okoze’, local fish which is available in Onomichi?

My favorite restaurant, called Uonobu is one that serves stonefish.

Upon hearing the word stonefish, there might be only a few Japanese people who say, “Oh, its meat is firm and tasty!” And this particular restaurant, Uonobu is famous for its stonefish food.

One of the best recipes for stonefish is deep-fried stonefish. In comparison to other fish, stonefish’s flesh is regarded as a little more chewy. Whenever I eat it, I am so happy that I break into a smile.

出典:2011年イースター 東南アジアと日本(7) 瀬戸内海の美味~尾道・魚信~

Stonefish meat is also served with a red miso soup. Uonobu serves deep-fried stonefish’s bones. You can enjoy fried stonefish’s food texture that you have never eaten before. It is so crispy!

I would also certainly recommend trying the “Unigohan” sea urchin served on top of a bowl of rice.

The hundred-year old Uonobu building is a must see.

I have eaten at Uonobu at least five times so far and I have always eaten at in the same room, called Hatune no ma. After climbing the steep narrow stairs and you reach the third floor, with the ‘Hatsune no ma’ and there you can enjoy the serene views of the setonaikai. (Seto Inland Sea)

出典:ウキウキ海岸通り

Although I was born and brought up in Onomichi, I rarely have the chance to eat traditional Onomichi food as there are a fewer restaurants that serve traditional Onomichi food these days. Whenever I have been back there, however, once I begin to eat the fresh fish varieties from the Setonaikai (Seto Inland Sea) with the surroundings by the serene setonaikai, I notice that I feel I am again in Onomichi.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+Chome-27-6+Kubo,+Onomichi-shi,+Hiroshima-ken+722-0045/@34.4095978,133.2043775,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x355101aefb918809:0x69b535418652e8fa?hl=en

瀬戸内海に面した尾道は新鮮な魚のおいしい町としても知られています。

魚というと普通寿司や刺身などが思い浮かぶと思いますが、折角尾道にきたのだったら、尾道でしか食べられないものにトライしてみてください。

今回お勧めするのは、オコゼ料理で有名な魚信です。

オコゼと聞いて、「あー、あの身の引き締まったあれね」と思い浮かべられる日本人も結構少ないと思いますが、そのオコゼ料理で名をはせるのがこの魚信。

オコゼは、唐揚げが何といってもおいしいです。他の魚に比べて適度な噛み応えのあるオコゼの身の食感に思わず頬も緩む感じです。

オコゼはその他にも赤だしでも出てきますが、個人的に一番好きなのが「骨」です。そう、オコゼの骨を唐揚げにしたものがあって、そのパリッとした食感と海の香りの感じられる味があいまって私の一番のお気に入りとなっています。

小ぶりの茶碗で出てくるウニご飯もお勧めです。

魚信を海外から来てくれた方にお勧めしたいのは食事だけがその理由ではありません。

魚信の築100年という建物も必見です。

私は今まで5回ほど利用していてすべて同じ部屋、初音の間で食事をしたのですが、狭くて急な階段を登り3階にたどり着くと、そこは瀬戸内海ののどかな風景を一望できる初音の間です。

尾道出身の私も帰郷の際、なかなか尾道の伝統的な食べ物を食べる機会が少なくなってきているのですが、この魚信の、瀬戸内ののどかな風景に囲まれた部屋で瀬戸内産の新鮮な魚介類を食することが出来、尾道を改めて感じることができているのに気づきます。