The first bridge, Innoshima-ohashi

Taking a ferry from Onomichi, you will reach Mukaishima.
About halfway from Mukaishima, you will see Iwashijima on the right hand side as you ride along the seaside.
Please follow the blue line with dedication.

Then on your right hand side, you will see a red bridge, but this bridge is not on the Shimanami Kaido. It is actually called the Mukaishima-Ohashi and goes to Iwashijima.

The Innoshima-Ohashi is the first bridge to connect Mukaishima and Innoshima, and is 770 metres in length.

Unfortunately, the cycle track runs underneath the road bridge, so you can only see the beautiful scenery only through the fence. However, please be assured. The Innoshima-Ohashi is the only bridge that you can see scenery through the fence.

By the way, as shown below, in Innoshima, there is a beach, called “Shimanami-beach” and a pool where you can swim.
I recall that whenever I’ve been there, I’ve been up to the top of the water-slide, and I’ve waited there for about thirty minutes. As I was scared of the height, I was not able to slide down it!
Speaking of which, this time whenever crossing a bridge on the Shimanami Kaido, I’ve been in two minds as to thinking “What a fantastic scenery it is!” and “Man, it’s so high!”

出典 尾道市

出典 尾道市

For some reason, there is even a dinosaur objet d’art in Innoshima!

You can rent a bicycle in Mukaishima.

しまなみ海道観光マップ
出典 瀬戸内しまなみ海道振興協議会

The fee is affordable and it is 1,000 yen per day.
However, the website is also in Japanese and it seems limited to people who speak Japanese. According to the person in charge of this, replies in English are not available. Why don’t you try in Japanese?

The trip has just begun! Come on, let’s go!

尾道から船で渡ると向島に着きます。
向島では途中から右手に岩子島を見ながら、海岸沿いを走ります。ひたすら青い線を目印に走って行ってください。

そして右手に赤い橋が見えてきますが、これはしまなみ海道の橋ではなく、岩子島に行くための橋です。
因みに名前は向島大橋と言います。

そして初めての橋となるのが、向島と因島を結ぶ、全長770mの因島大橋です。

残念なのが、自転車道は車道の下にあるので、景色が金網越しにしか見ることができないことです。
でもご安心を。金網越しにしか景観が見れないのはこの橋のみです。

因みに因島には以下の様なプールもあったり、しまなみビーチと言う名のビーチもあって海水浴も可能です。
このプールには何度か行ったことがあるのですが、行くたびに思い出すのが、このウォータースライダーが怖くて上まで登ったは良いものの、30分粘ったものの怖くて、滑れなかったことです。そう言えば今回のしまなみ海道でも橋を渡るたびに「いい眺めだな~」という思いと、「ひぇー高いー!」という思いが半々でした^^;

出典 尾道市

出典 尾道市

何故か以下のようなオブジェもあります。

因みに向島で自転車を借りるという手もあります。

しまなみ海道観光マップ
出典 瀬戸内しまなみ海道振興協議会

料金は1日1000円と安いです。
しかし担当者に尋ねた所、英語での対応はできないとの事だったので、頑張って日本語で喋ってみましょう。

まだ旅は始まったばかりです。急ぎましょう!